Shay Mitchell already talking to 8-month-old daughter about Black Lives Matter

Shay Mitchell and her boyfriend, Matte Babel, have been talking to their 8-month old daughter Atlas about the Black Lives Matter movement.

The Canadian actress recently told Page Six that she and Babel, who are in an interracial relationship, think there’s “never an age where they’re too young to have those discussions.”

“Regardless of if she can answer back or not,” she added, “I think it’s important that we read books, and she sees people that are different, and she knows that no matter what you look like everybody should be treated equally.”

Mitchell, 33, is of Filipino, Scottish and Irish descent, and she says Babel, 39, is also of mixed heritage.


But despite their diverse backgrounds, the “Pretty Little Liars” star said she feels “fortunate” to have “never” witnessed discrimination firsthand.

“If there ever was anything that’s been said about it, it’s never been something that I’ve paid attention to, so I feel very fortunate about that,” she said. “But we both have parents who are also in an interracial relationship and it’s just something that we’ve never witnessed thankfully.”

Earlier this month, Mitchell shared on her Instagram a photo of Babel kissing Atlas and captioned it, “I am hopeful that the next generation will abandon the prejudices of the past, and embrace and accept people based on who they are, versus the colour of their skin. Black or White. It doesn’t matter. All she sees are people who love her. Racism is a learned behavior. It starts and stops at home.”


The actress told us that she “didn’t think twice” about supporting Black Lives Matter on social media.

“I’ve always used my social platform as a way to vocalize things that I felt were very important and this — it’s a humans rights issue,” she said. “It’s just about treating everybody with equality.”

Mitchell also hopes to encourage her followers to live a healthy livestyle.

The “Dollface” star has made several TikTok dances during quarantine, including one that is part of the #SafeguardSplash challenge, which aims to raise $10 million in hand soaps and hand sanitizers to relief organizations and communities in need.


Mitchell has also jumped on the at-home workouts bandwagon.

The new mom, who announced she gave birth in October and was excited to start working out again, joked about how having a newborn has actually helped her stay fit.

“I have the best dumbbell ever, she’s about 22 pounds, and carrying that around all day is a great workout,” Mitchell said. “But it’s been fun, I kind of just do what I feel like doing that day. We like to  go for daily walks, I actually brought my treadmill into the living room before all of this happened, so it’s been definitely encouraging when I’m sitting on the couch to maybe walk and watch. I think every day is different and it just sort of depends on the mood that I’m feeling.”